Audacious 3.8 releasedSeptember 21, 2016
Audacious 3.8 was released on September 21, 2016. Download it here.
With this version, it is finally possible to run multiple instances of Audacious (#635). Instances are numbered and can be started with
audacious -3, and so on; once running, they can be controlled with
audtool -2 <command>,
audtool -3 <command>, and so on. Each instance remembers its own configuration.
Support for Windows has been improved:
- There is a new installer using NSIS, based on work by Carlo Bramini (#342).
- The user interface handles high-resolution displays better and no longer appears blurred due to scaling.
- Audio output now uses the native waveOut API, allowing higher bit depths, lower latency, and better integration with the system volume control.
New audtool commands have been added:
- Enable/disable stream recording (#594)
- Enable/disable any plugin: effects, visualizations, etc. (#638)
Cuesheet support is more seamless, with the following fixes:
- More robust logic to prevent adding duplicate entries (#630)
- Display artist correctly for cuesheets with only a single
- Add audio files normally if cuesheet support is disabled (#650)
- Track lengths correctly account for pregap with libcue 2.0 or later (#651)
Other new features:
- Folders can be added from various URI protocols (
mtp, etc.) via GIO (#503)
- Audio effects and equalization can optionally be applied to a stream recording (#592)
- Search results can be added to the playlist using drag and drop (#621)
- Option to display MMM:SS instead of H:MM:SS (#631)
- Automatic selection of the best available output bit depth
- Album artist support for FLAC and Vorbis files (read-write)
- Support for the freedesktop.org startup notification protocol
Existing features ported to the Qt interface:
- Scrobbler setup dialog (#656)
- Context (right-click) menu in the playlist
- Copy-and-paste of playlist entries
- “Open Containing Folder” command
- Desktop notifications and file deletion (via the appropriate plugins)
- Access to the full set of FileWriter options
Bugs fixed since 3.7.2
- Silenced an error message at the end of some MP3 files (#628)
- Fixed various problems seeking within a PSF file (#649)
- Resolved build errors when cross-compiling (#652, #653).
- Fixed undefined behavior detected by
- Silenced a “no such property” warning with older GTK+ versions
Bugs fixed since 3.8-beta1
- Controlling multiple instances with audtool now works on Windows (#655)
- Primary instance can be closed and reopened without closing other instances
- Fixed 100% CPU usage when connection to PulseAudio server is lost
Bugs fixed since 3.8-beta2
- Long URLs in error messages no longer cause the window to extend offscreen (#662)
Other notable changes
- Plugins from 3.7.x or earlier will need to be rebuilt for 3.8. Some plugins may require source code updates as well. In particular, input plugins are now required to provide a combined
read_tag()function, rather than separate
./configurescript for audacious-plugins has been cleaned up, and is now better about reporting unmet plugin dependencies.
- Drag-and-drop of playlist entries has not yet been implemented in the Qt interface (#484).